Australian TradeLinks Australian Tax Office
The Australian Taxation Office is the Government's principal revenue collection agency, and is part of the Treasurer's portfolio. Our role is to manage and shape tax, excise and superannuation systems that fund services for Australians.
At a glance
- Principal revenue collection agency of the Australian Government
- Large payer of Australian Government funds
- Administrator of major aspects of Australia's superannuation system
- Custodian of the Australian Business Register
- Manager of business operations of the Australian Valuation Office
We believe that instilling strong values in our people helps build trust and community confidence in how we manage Australia's tax and superannuation systems. We will:
- be fair and professional
- be open and accountable
- apply the rule of law
- support people who want to do the right thing and be fair but firm with those who don't
- be consultative, collaborative and willing to co-design
- be responsive to challenges and opportunities.
Our vision is that Australians value their tax and superannuation systems as community assets, where willing participation is recognised as good citizenship. In conjunction with government and the community, the journey towards our vision is guided by five strategic themes:
People support and understand the benefits of participation - they are engaged and willingly participate.
We help and assist people to understand their rights and responsibilities so they are able to fulfil their obligations easily at minimal cost.
We protect people and the community by deterring, detecting and dealing with those who have not complied.
We are passionate about improving our capabilities to be more innovative, agile and responsive to challenges and opportunities.
We champion the interests of both individual taxpayers and the community, advising government on ways to improve the operation of Australia's tax and superannuation systems.
Confidence in the administration of aspects of Australia's tax and superannuation systems through helping people understand their rights and obligations, improving ease of compliance and access to benefits and managing non-compliance with the law