Extracted from the Australian Government Australia in the Asian Century, Towards 2025, Japan Country Strategy:
Japan is important to Australia because of:
- The contribution its economy makes to global development Australia's own prosperity
- The strength and resilience of our bilateral trade and investment relationship
- Our extensive, longstanding people to people links
- The contribution our strong security and defence cooperation makes to peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region
- Our well-established capacity to collaborate when addressing shared global challenges
Japan has a high quality manufacturing industry. However, demographic and economic factors have seen Japanese manufacturers increasingly investing offshore, establishing major regional value chains and production networks. In joint ventures, Japanese businesses have been important contributors to the success of other East Asian economies. There are significant opportunities for Australian firms to integrate with these regional value chains.
For more information download the document below.