Extracted from the Australian Government's Report: Australia in the Asian Century, Towards 2025, India Country Strategy
* India is projected to overtake China as the world's most populous nation by 2028.
* India is Australia's 10th largest trading partner and fifth-largest export market - exports to india were worth $14 billion in 2012.
* In 2012, India became the third-largest economy in the world, following 10 years where growth averaged more than 7 per cent.
* There are currently 450,000 Indians living in Australia. In 2011-12, India was Australia's largest source of permanent and skilled migrants.
* Indian society is becoming more affluent and more urban. By 2030 there will be 91 million middle-class, urban households in India, creating significant opportunities for Australian exports, such as education and professional services and niche consumer goods, as well as the travel and tourism industry.
For more information, please download the report.